Friday, December 18, 2009

For over two years, I worked as a live in caregiver for Bob and Sandy. That's not their real names though. It was hard working such long hours but I had never felt so much love from a job. During the summer my company raised their rates, because they didn't believe it to be safe for us to sleep while they slept. It was because Sandy wasn't sleeping. Sandy ended up being placed in the nursing home to save paying the high costs and he ended up staying home. Bob totally cut our company out and cut all the things Sandy was used to. Sandy dementia got much worse and they were seperated. It was so sad. Bob couldn't get past the idea that he needed to leave money for his son and his kids even though they were all very sucessful. It's sad, but Bob had a long life. He has passed away at the age of 98 years old. Sandy will be 99 in Feb. and he would have been 99 in june. I think this country is too big on rules and not on compassion. The move didn't need to happen. I believe Bob would still be alive if he wasn't forced to live away from his wife. They did have a good life. They each had two great loves. They married at 80 years old after each one lost a spouse after a long marriage. I will never forget the sweet moments of love that I was privileged to witness like him resting his head on her lap or them holding hands. I miss him and I miss her.

No comments: