Saturday, May 23, 2009

Next week, marks the the possible close of two years of taking care of Bob and Sandy. Wow! The time has flown by. When I started working for them, I worried about job security,because they were 95 and 96 years of age. I thought how much longer can they live? Well, two years later, I am taking care of them still. She is 98 and he will be 98 next month. I am still asking myself how much longer can they live? I think Bob is asking himself the same thing. He asks me all the time why are we still living? We don't do anything or contribute anything. He is so wrong!! They have opened up their house and hearts to sooo many caregivers and so many have left for one reason or another. Some, never stay long enough to really get used to the live-in situation. Others, leave, because the pay just isn't what it should be for a 24 hour job. I am working 72 hours a week for what is the average paycheck of a 42 hour week. I am admit that I am tired of missing out on my family, but I told myself I want to stick it out until I know they are taken care of. In other words, I want to know they are dead and gone. Is gone in Heaven or 6 just six feet under I don't know.
Last week, we had a meeting between the three caregivers and I was the top dog. I have been there the longest. The other two have only been there for less than 6 months. My co workers and company look up to me. They want to be able to deal with Sandy's dementia as well as me. They ask me to talk to Bob about the touchy subjects. Another co worker is talking about quitting to go back to banking. I am thinking of a job change to so I can increase my income for my family, but I will be honest, it upsets me that this world puts such little value on taking care of people. I am a very good caregiver. I could be responsible for them living so long. I have prevented so many falls and so many medicine screw ups. I have drove them around, instead of Bob driving. But I am still probably living under the poverty level. That's a bunch of crap. Well, those are just my 2 cents for today.

No comments: