Monday, July 6, 2009


Why does everyone treat adoption as the dirty little family secret? For women who have lost children for adoption it's a big thing to them. Does it need to be kept in the closet or swept under the rug? No. Sometimes I just want to someone to acknowledge that I do have a daughter. I have fallen for society's trick of don't tell others that you had a daughter. So, very few people know the real me. For those who do know the real me, they just like to pretend that Ashley was never born. They just washed their hands of her. Well, guess what I didn't. She is still a very big part of my thoughts. My children know of her and it's been the best for me. I don't have to hide anymore. I can buy a ring or a charm with the Sept birthday. I can say it's for Ashley. Like Tyler said, when we were making a ocean for Ashley, well she is your daughter still. Damn right she is. If there is anyone who would like to learn more about the struggles and problems Birthmother's face after placing their children for adoption. Even if it was by choice. However, mine wasn't by choice. Choice would mean that I had two or more options. I was given one choice and that was adoption. But it's done and did and I am making Ashley a scrapbook that someday I can have the pleasure to give her. I just know that she is a beautiful girl. Well anyways the book is by Merry Bloch Jones. Enjoy the ocean we made for Ashley. I am sure she won't mind me sharing it with ya'll. It's much prettier in person, because you can see the water.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think the ocean is beautiful and thank you for sharing it.
I too gave up a daughter for adoption, and I know what you mean about it being viewed as something to be ashamed of. I however, am pretty open about it, my husband knew and our children knew. We didn't share my journey with a few of my family members, but that was because they were way behind in the times and it just didn't seem like there was any point. My firstdaughter is now 23 and I have been blessed with the reunion that is better than I ever dreamed. She is a mom and thus I am now a firstgrandma.
You hang in there and don't ever let anyone make you feel like less of a person for being a firstmom to a beautiful young woman.