Monday, February 23, 2009

Do you want fries?

There are times where I don't think I am a good enough caregiver, even though my clients tell me how much I mean to them and I hear things like "I don't know how I would have gotten out of that situation if Cristy wasn't here. It makes me almost cry. I have such a deep love for them that sometimes it hurts.
The reason I don't think I am always the best caregiver is because, I don't always have their best interest at heart. I say that, because I spend 24 hours a day, three days a week. Sometimes when I should be trying to get her to play scrabble with me or just talk to her, I need to do homework or I want to work on my scrapbook. Sometimes I just don't have the energy to put their needs about my mental health.
Yesterday, I think I put their best interest at heart. I played scrabble with Sandy* I got her to do some knee bends. I talked to her for a while.
On top of all the cleaning and cooking I made them some homemade custard. I spent a lot of time talking to Bob* about something important to him. After Sandy* went to bed, I spent about a hour talking to him and making him feel worthy. Besides my work stuff, I worked quite a bit on my paper due the next day. Between the paper and the emotional stuff with my clients, I felt like I should cry. I didn't cry, but damn why does it have to be so hard. Maybe I should just work at McDonald's.. Do you want fries with that?

No comments: