Friday, March 7, 2008

work stories. .. days of old people

When I get to work. The other caregiver gives me a hard time about some of the food,
I have been buying for them. They are on a restricted diet because of heart reasons. I can't give names so I will call the old people Bob and Sandy. Bob and Sandy are 96 and 97 years old. They have been married for 17 years. There is a few different caregivers that rotate shifts to take care of them.
I work the most days, and the grocery shopping is my job. The other lady was reminding me of their diet. I do my best. But at what point can they decide. Hey we have lived a long life. Longer than most people. Let them eat whatever their hearts desire. If she wants ice cream. Give her the whole container. give her the whole box of chocolate. Fix them dinners that they will enjoy, rather than have to be restricted because of diet. Isn't like my cat Tigger. I let her play outside even though it might shorten her life. She lived to be 17 years old. Could she have lived longer if I didn't let her roll in the grass. Shouldn't it be the same for the old people. Let them eat whatever they feel like it, after a certain age.
Last night we were watching the news and the last living survivor of the world war 1 was on the tv. He was born in 1901. I said to Bob that finally we seen someone who is older than him.
I love Bob and Sandy, but boy does the day go slow. I am glad to be home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.