Friday, January 16, 2009

a day in my life as a caregiver

I get to work for my 24 hour shift and my co worker told me that Sandy had a rough morning. She was really confused. She claimed there was deaf mutes in the house, and we need to call the police. When she is that way it's really hard to get her to calm down. What it is that when she dreams, she has a hard time separating reality from her dreams.
So about 9:30 am, I go into the bedroom, because I hear her making noise.
Me: Good Morning
Sandy: Good Morning Pal, Did you hear about the deaf mutes?
Me: Yea that's weird
So i help her potty and she goes back to bed.. later she gets up again.
Me: Do you need some help?
Sandy: What is the situation on our deaf mutes?
Me:I told them to go home and they are gone now
Sandy: good

A little bit later, I hear her stirring and I go stand by the commode as she is trying to sit down. I hold my arms out to be close, but let her do it on her own if she could. Right when i got there, she fell in my arms.
Sandy: What good timing.. what would I do without you?
Me: I am speechless... I just love Sandy so much. The real question is what I am going to do without her... She will be 98 years old next month.
Fast forward to this early am.. it's 4 am and I hear her. So i get up and help her use the commode. I am trying to stable her and pull up her depends.. She keeps making these movements like she is about to fall. She gives me a dirty look.
Sandy: Will you leave me alone..
Me: I remove my hands from her, but keep them close
Sandy: I don't mean that way
Me: I don't understand what you need from me
Sandy: I am trying to make a golf swing.. don't I have to make a shot?
Me: Not a 4 am
Sandy: OK and she lets me help her to bed.
Now this isn't my whole day... That was the exiting parts lol

No comments: